What is Gleevec ? is it imatinib mesylate
What is Gleevec
Gleevec is a new type of cancer drug – the first of its kind developed to fight cancer by turning off an enzyme that causes cells to become cancerous and multiply.
What is Gleevec used for?
Gleevec is approved to treat a rare cancer called Chronic Myeloid Leukemia (CML), which affects between 5,000 and 8,000 patients each year.
GLEEVEC (imatinib mesylate) is available only by prescription.
GLEEVEC tablets are indicated for:
- Newly diagnosed adult and pediatric patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in the chronic phase
- Patients with Ph+ CML in blast crisis (BC), accelerated phase (AP), or in the chronic phase (CP) after failure of interferon-alpha therapy
- Adult patients with relapsed or refractory Ph+ acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL)
- Pediatric patients with newly diagnosed Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL) in combination with chemotherapy
- Adult patients with myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD) associated with PDGFR (platelet-derived growth factor receptor) gene rearrangements
- Adult patients with aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM) without the D816V c-KIT mutation or with c-KIT mutational status unknown
- Adult patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) who have the FIP1L1-PDGFRα fusion kinase and for patients with HES and/or CEL who are FIP1L1-PDGFRα fusion kinase negative or unknown
- Adult patients with unresectable, recurrent, and/or metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)
- Patients with KIT(CD117)-positive gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) that cannot be surgically removed and/or have spread to other parts of the body
- Adult patients after surgery who have had their KIT (CD117)-positive GIST completely removed
Common side effects include fluid retention, headache, diarrhea, loss of appetite, weakness, nausea and vomiting, abdominal distention, swelling of arms and legs, rash, itching, fever, dizziness, and muscle pain. Serious side effects include fever associated with reduced white blood cells, reduced platelets and red blood cell counts, infection, stomach or intestinal bleeding, bleeding in the brain, heart failure, reduced liver function, and fluid in the lungs.